Goals are what makes the world go ’round. Right?! We have heard it over and over again: set your goals, define your goals, achieve your goals. Here’s the thing about goals, though, reaching our goals is not the greatest outcome. Really, you ask? Why is reaching goals not the greatest outcome? In short, clinging to goal achievement brings more stress than peace and goal achievement is not the end all, be all in life. The best thing about goals is that goals drive the change you need to become the person you want to be. The outcomes we are looking for in life demand we become different people.
I am certain that most of us can look back over our lives and realize we are in a different place today than we thought we would be. When I was a child, my mother and her friends were housewives and so, I thought I would be a housewife. Today, however, I hold Psychology degrees and write computer code. Go figure. The point is, it does not matter where we end up. What matters is that we grow into being the person that makes us happy. What matters is that we become our own person.
Here are a few thoughts towards becoming the person you strive to be as opposed to being anchored to your goals.
- Be honest with yourself – what is and is not working in your life?
- Surrender. Set your intentions and tell the universe what you desire and then let go.
- Move where you are directed. Instead of digging your heels in, learn to live with what is.
- Learn to say goodbye and move forward with grace and joy. Growth means a lot of goodbyes and new beginnings and that is okay.
- Love yourself unconditionally. The single most important thing you can do for yourself and others in this life is to learn to love yourself.
All the best!