Life has been described as a fleeting moment; living on earth for a short amount of time in comparison to the timeline of human history. In my mind, that humans pass while loved ones linger makes life precious. Recognizing life is precious brings up the question of what does showing up in life mean? Every person alive likely has a different answer. In my mind, showing up requires adaptive behaviors and insight. A person who has a strong adaptive game and uses insight to understand life and relationships is a person who can accomplish his/her goals and live life to the fullest.
Today, I want to offer a few suggestions to help my readers onto the road of showing up in her/his life.
- Take time to sort through feelings. A person who hides his/her feelings from him/herself is a person who is emotionally crippled. When we hide our feelings, we end up lashing out at others. Take time to work through nagging feelings, process what the feelings are telling you, make course corrections as necessary.
- Accept yourself. You cannot show up in life if you do not love yourself. People who accept themselves can accept others. Take the time to work through the good and bad parts of who you are so you can fully show up.
- Be aware of countertransference. When you interact with others, the “stuff” of others radiates outward. If you are not careful, you can take on the “stuff” of others as your own. Take care to recognize where your beliefs end and the beliefs of others begin.
- Give yourself down time. Show me a person who rushes from one part of life to the other and I will show you a person who is hiding. Every human needs down time to sort through feelings, events, and needs. Allow yourself to process life while alone; doing so will produce a life lived from your center.
- Take things slowly. I am always surprised by advice to think “this”, feel “this”, do “this”. Take each suggestion and event as information. Spend time considering all new information and suggestions and decide what to keep and what to let go of. Taking things slowly lends itself to being unstoppable, attracting the best things in life, and living from your peaceful center.
All the best,