Focus is a tricky thing. Mix past event memories and a current situation that is troubling you and you can find yourself losing hope. Refuse to live in reality and you can miss opportunities and make poor choices. Although it sounds counterproductive, focusing on positive thoughts can completely change you life. You are only in a bad place if you imagine yourself to be. Even in the toughest circumstances you can choose to let go and focus on the abundance of the universe. When you find yourself moving towards depression or are otherwise unable to enjoy life, here are some ways that a chosen focus can serve you:
- Surrender. I like to own that I am powerless over aspects of my life that seem to be too much for me. The more I fight against what I don’t want, the worse I feel. I always ask God to take charge of the situation and help me see the situation from a different point of view.
- Letting go. Refuse to catastrophize your current situation. Imaging in the worst causes one to act out in ways that are maladaptive. Positive, detached thinking produces your best self.
- Engage in activities you love. Rather than let life’s difficulties bring you down, follow your passion. Only participate in activities that make you feel alive. Let your worries go.
- Be gentle with yourself. When life is difficult, humans have a habit of taking their disappointment out on him or herself. Choose instead to love, nurture, and pamper yourself. Life is harsh enough, you don’t need to join in on making life difficult.
- Refuse to scapegoat. Deciding that others are to blame for how you feel gives away your power and does not bring out your best self.
- Enjoy some solitude. Take time to get away from the world. Have a Netflix and chill session.
- Hang out with your supportive friends. Being exposed to the realization that you are not alone is balm for the soul.
All the best!