In life, there is no shortage of curveballs. One would think when one reaches a certain age, the curveballs would be less surprising. The unexpected part of curveballs is they are often new and different from the life we are used to. For example, when I was growing up, one could expect to work with the same company for all of one’s career. In today’s world, big companies downsize and newer generations have harnessed the joy of starting their own companies and engaging in several careers over a lifetime.
Curveballs can completely steer you off course. One moment life is looking rosy and the next moment, everything appears to be crashing down. In the midst of unexpected disappointment, one’s blessings still exist. While it is important to feel your feelings and work through deep, psychological wounds, counting your blessings can keep hope alive.
The following are 8 tips for recognizing your blessings:
- Take time to appreciate things that are easy to take for granted: a place to live, a vehicle, food, clothes to wear, and so on.
- Think on parts of your life that make you truly happy. Maybe you are in a job you worked hard to acquire or are married to someone who makes you feel loved.
- Consider circumstances and possessions you once wanted and eventually acquired.
- Drive through your town and remember why particular buildings and venues bring you joy.
- Look through old photographs of trips you took and memories from gatherings of friends and families.
- Review times when you were down and out and your support system showed up for you in spades.
- Remember times when you felt completely alone and you still managed to pull through.
- Know that you are your greatest asset and strength. As long as you have yourself, anything is possible!
All the best!