Feelings are the controllers of our world. All of our perceptions, beliefs, and actions are based on feelings. Feelings can be used in a positive manner to let us form boundaries. Feelings can also be used for self sabotage and depression. In the end, the goal is to have, acknowledge, and work through feelings.
The topic of feelings is one of my favorite topics to speak on/write about. Today, I want to share 6 steps on working through feelings.
- Embrace your feelings. Every feeling you have is okay. There are no good or bad feelings. If you are one to shun/judge your feelings, learn to stop yourself and change direction towards embracing/loving your feelings.
- Feel your feelings until they dissipate. Let your feelings linger as long as they need to. Get into a quiet, safe space and let your feelings rip.
- Seek professional assistance if your feelings become too overwhelming. Trauma, stuffing feelings for too long, abuse, and stressful events call for professional help with your feelings. Much like a tune up for your car, we all need an emotional tune up from time to time.
- Complete your feeling work before acting. At the height of feeling emotions you are likely to do and say things you will regret.
- Talk and/or journal about your feelings. There is nothing shameful about feelings. Men cry, big girls cry, the very best people feel and share their feelings.
- Love yourself for having feelings. As humans, we are designed to feel. While many have been shamed over having feelings, it is actually the lack of feelings that is concerning.
All the best!