Today, I want to discuss things that one can do personally to have more fulfilling relationships. Of course, we want to choose mates that treat us well and who engage in adaptive behaviors. On the other hand, the way one lives and treats him/herself will determine the type of people she/he attracts. The good news is when you work on yourself, the type of people you attract will be upgraded as well.
Here are ways to ensure your relationships will be fulfilling:
- Work on your stuff. Like attracts like. The more adaptive your behaviors, the better quality partner you will attract.
- Learn to speak your needs. While some people withhold love and gifts as a means of control, people with adaptive behaviors need you to speak up when your needs are not being met. The bonus is if you speak up and your needs are not taken seriously, you will be clear on whether or not you are in a healthy relationship.
- Never stop growing. By enhancing your knowledge and creativity, you will remain eternally attractive to the right people
- Don’t neglect yourself and your friends while in a relationship. Everyone needs some variety in their lives. Only interacting with your significant other and depending on him/her to take care of all your needs will drag your relationship down.
- Never settle for second best. If your significant other shows a lack of concern for your happiness and well being, make plans to move on as soon as possible.
All the best!