Many of the people I have worked with, including myself, have had rock bottom experiences. There is nothing quite like the loss of hope. Hope is the thing that helps us overcome obstacles. Hope drives us to do more and keep trying even when we cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. Attitude is the key ingredient to retaining hope in difficult times. Particularly as we age, we experience more and more of “real life” and hope can appear to be in short supply. There are some things you can do when you hit rock bottom. Here are a few tips to spur you onward when life keeps handing you lemons:
- Practice humility. Many times we see people around us demanding their rights be upheld. I am not suggesting that you become a doormat. However, focusing on what you don’t have is a downer. On the other hand, you are not entitled either. Somewhere in the middle of keeping your feet on the ground and knowing your worth is the sweet spot for avoiding the pitfalls of a maladaptively inflated/deflated ego.
- Dream about your ideal life. What do you do day to day? Where do you live? What does your work look like? And so on. Picture the ease you live in. Picture the peace and satisfaction of your needs. Your soul knows where you want to go. Let go and dream.
- Explore what makes you happy, identify what does not. When I was younger, I could swim all day long. Now that I have aged, floating in a pool lounger works better for me. As an introvert, I need a lot of alone time; sitting in a crowded room overloads my neural networks. My job and life are a reflection of the experiences that work for me. Identify what you love and where you find peace and drift towards those experiences.
- Don’t let fear scare you. When situations bring out the fear in you, you need to look for areas in your life that you are not honoring your values. For instance, if you feel uncomfortable in particular situations, one of your values is likely being violated. Work to honor your values and move forward.
- Self care and recharging is important. If you are taking good care of yourself, you have more energy to overcome the obstacles life hands you.
All the best!